The Site & Location
Useful Information & Site Rules
This venue is perfect for those wanting peace and quiet. As you will be visiting a sensitive area for the Stud Animals and Bird Special Protection Area. There are a few things you should be aware of before you make your booking. Most of all we want everyone to have a peaceful and relaxing stay. This is what we hold most precious and we hope that you embrace what we have to offer which we think is quite special.
We are situated on the very edge of the South Downs National Park, in our very own green agricultural bubble that is affectionately known as the 'The Shire' by friends. The surrounding area is quite busy, but here at Swallow Beck, once on-site, you tend to forget how close you are to civilisation.
The site has remote viewing CCTV cameras so no matter what, we can check the safety of our beautiful animals.
The site is flat and has views towards Goodwood Racecourse up to the Trundle in the South Downs National Park.
It has excellent views of aircraft taking off and landing on runways 14/32 at Goodwood Airfield. The Spitfire can be seen regularly, along with other vintage and modern light aircraft.
Some of the rules at the bottom of the page are specified by us, the Stud for Animal Welfare, some by The Caravan and Motorhome Club and some by Chichester District Council for the Bird Special Protection Area regarding 'Recreational Disturbance'. If you are in breach of any of these, CDC may take action against us and therefore it will be necessary to ask you to leave. It has taken us a long time and a lot of money for the site to be approved by CDC.
Animals, their Welfare and Scary Things like Awnings!
- As we are a working Stud, due to the Welfare of the ponies we request that you DO NOT put up or take down your awnings in windy weather as the flapping of the sheets or any potential bits such as plastic bags or sheeting getting lose will cause the ponies to panic with the potential for serious injury. This would not be good for the pregnant mares, youngstock or indeed any of the animals. So please try and watch the forecast carefully.
- Please also ensure your belongings and refuse are secure and cannot blow around as again this will be conceived as a 'pack of wolves' chasing the stud animals. Crisp packets are VERY SCARY.
- We have our own yard cat, 'Shmoo' who is a much loved member of our family and yard team. He does essential work for us and very diligently helps us keep the rabbits and vermin down. This is a working agricultural establishment so please if you don't like it don't look if you see him tripping past with a dead rabbit in his mouth, he is an efficient hunter. I would rather this than me have to shoot them. Please don't allow him into your van or cars and definitely no food, he does have a habit of jumping in cars to be nosey.
- Cats are welcome as long as they are MICROCHIPPED AND HAVE A COLLAR WITH NAMETAG kept in the vans and supervised in awnings. We shall not be responsible for any cats getting lose, lost, for death or injury as a result of staying on our premise.
- We respectfully ask that you take as much 'refuse' waste as possible home with you, or dispose of it in refuse bins whilst you are out and about. This is because we do not have official waste disposal contractors, therefore we do it ourselves.
The Connemara Ponies
- STRICTLY NO FEEDING OF ANY KIND. FEEDING THINGS THAT HUMANS CONSIDER NORMAL, CAN KILL HORSES.
- We have elderly animals here on strict expensive medication and diets. Some are diabetic (EMS) with Cushings disease, COPD and heart murmurs.
Arriving & Leaving
- CHECKOUT: 7am to Midday ARRIVAL: After 2pm and before 7pm
- On the day of travel please text us to let us know your estimated arrival time.
- The CAMC have stipulated that YOU MUST enter approaching from the WEST and TURN IN - RIGHT!! DO NOT attempt to turn in left. This is due to the turning circle into the entrance. If you are facing the wrong direction please just drive to the roundabout (there are 2, one at both ends of Madgwick Lane) and turn round so you are approaching FROM the WEST (or facing East if you prefer).
- The Entrance is very concealed. Instructions will be given in your booking confirmation email once payment for your stay has been received.
- Come and check-in at the Site Office down at the yard.
- Minimum Stay is 3 nights, recommended by CAMC. We may have single nights available in emergency, so please email or phone us.
- The ground is very hard during the summer as we are on gravel.
- We suggest you use a drill and the heavy duty screw tent pegs as you will probably end up bending a lot of the normal one's which may well leave your awning insecure.
- We do tend to get strong South Westerly winds, although the hedge does afford plenty of protection for the vans.
- We will have a small stock of 'Emergency Camping Items' for Sale in our Office. These will be limited; however Chichester Caravans are very close and can cater for all your needs.
- Adults only.
- STRICTLY no additional visitors on-site.
- MAXIMUM OCCUPANCY PER PITCH IS 2 ADULT PERSONS
- Please refrain for making or playing any loud music, TV's, or any other form of loud noise asYOU ARE IN A 'SPECIAL PROTECTION AREA'which is sensitive to 'Recreational Disturbance' and the STUD ANIMALS are very sensitive.
- NO FLAGS, BALLOONS, HI-VIS VESTS, FLAPPY THINGS ETC ON-SITE - horses scare easily
- DO NOT TOUCH OR FEED THE HORSES
- NO DOGS ALLOWED, SORRY.
- Goodwood House, Racecourse, Airfield and Motor Circuit
- Chichester Festival Theatre, Chichester
- Tinwood Vineyard
- Weald & Downland Museum, Singleton
- Chichester Harbour
- Chichester Cathedral
- Fontwell Racecourse
Restaurants & Cafe's
- Hallidays Restaurant, Funtington
10% discount during your visit to us.
- Chichester Park Hotel
- Crouchers End, Birdham
- The Earl of March, Lavant
- The Fox Runs Free, Singleton
- The Gallery Tea Rooms, Singleton
Booking advisable, excellent home cooking - 01243 811899
- Chichester Caravans, Southbourne
- Sainsbury's, Westhampnett Rd
Includes closest Pharmacy
- Marks & Spencers Food Hall, Portfield Retail Pk
- Currys, Portfield Retail Pk
- John Lewis, Portfield Retail Pk
- Pets @ Home, Portfield Retail Pk
- Homebase, Westhampnett Rd
- Lidl & Aldi, Westhampnett Rd
- Bicycle Repair - John Lloyd
'The Local Spokes Man - Bike Repair' Facebook07788 102005
- Vehicles - Eames Motors, St James Ind Est.
chichester-tyres.co.uk - 01243 717572