Pam & Paul Clingan Welcome You
Opening June 2021
Swallow Beck CAMC Certified Location is situated in Westhampnett, at Lanburn Connemara Stud. Run by Pam (Left) and Paul Clingan (right). We are just 5 minutes from Goodwood Estate and perfectly situated for Chichester City Centre, all amenities, many excellent restaurants and attractions nearby. Our site offers great views of aircraft, particularly runway 14/32.
We have a multitude of birds including Skylarks, Finches, Swallows, House Martins, Long-tail Tits, Waxwings, Nightingales, Kestrels, Buzzards, Wrens, Dunnocks, Goldfinches, Wagtails, Collared Doves, Great Spotted & Green Woodpeckers. A veritable feast for avid Bird Watchers.
Recent CL News: 3 May 2021
We apologise for the delay opening. Totally out of our control, as we have encountered another LPA glitch.
Having had all our Business Plan approved in August 2019, which included the CL (technically we don't need planning permission), along with 5 yr residency, the LPA have now decided we need to put in PP due to the 'Special Protection Area'.
Having said that, despite it just being purportedly due to the SPA, the application has had to go through FULL-WEIGHTED consultation process. Highways have asked for Splay information, Land Ownership proof, Dimensions and Analysis of daily traffic including that for the Stud. If we pass all the consultations then determination is on the 14th May, having already had an extension to deal with previous said consultations.
Due to the costs involved, wrangling with the LPA for 7 years, there is no money left to do an extensive CL set up prior to opening. So we have to start small, with few but high quality facilities and work our way up towards our 'Vision'. We hope people will understand and bear with us. We must open in order to bring in money for the Stud to survive. If this is refused, it will be the final straw and sadly, we will have no alternative but to sell up.
Lanburn Connemara Stud Est. 1971 - Celebrating its 50th Anniversary
The Stud was established by Pam's parents, Bob and Margaret Blackburn, in 1971 when they bought their foundation mare and first Connemara pony for Pam to ride from Moycullen, Connemara, Ireland. On inheriting the Stud when Bob died suddenly in 2014, the usual workings of the Stud were thrown into disarray. For five years, Pam & Paul battled with the Local Planning Authority in order to get Planning consent to save the stud. Finally, in 2019, five years later, they were successful. If you would like to read more about the Connemara Ponies at Lanburn Stud please go to LanburnConnemaras.co.uk
At the first available opportunity our young Champion mare Glencarrig Dolly was AI'd and she is due to have her very first foal in June 2021. Dolly has done exceptionally well in virtual shows during 2020. Our old mare, last of my parents' bloodline, failed to take by AI and has now gone to stud in Monmouth for a last attempt to get her in foal.
As part of the agreed Business Plan with the LPA, we need to prove we are legitimate (despite us having been here since 1967 and the Stud established in 1971) and increase our breeding mares. We have been very lucky to purchase a mare with a very rare bloodline as part of our agreed breeding programme. Rosie is presently staying with friends at Cashel Bay Stud in Ireland to be covered, she will then travel to us here. The name of the stallion she will be going to is a secret, for now.
Rosie's Irish name 'Dún an Óir Rosalind' means 'Fort of Gold' which is a place on the Dingle Peninsula in Co. Kerry names after a ship of iron pyrite (Fool's Gold) went down off the coast. Here a historic battle took place in 1580 when Pope Gregory sent Italian, Spanish and Irish men to fight the English and many heads literally, rolled. Sir Walter Raleigh was said to have lead the assault and some 30 years later after his fall from favour, was executed for his involvement.
'Go Fund Me' Fundraiser Campaign
We have running a GO FUND ME Fundraiser Campaign to help raise funds for the requirements.
Caravan & Motorhome Club Members - For those of you who donate to the GoFundMe campaign we are offering:-
- Donation of £20 - you get 1 FREE 'Regular' night.
- Donation of £50 and over - you get 3 FREE 'Regular' nights OR 1 FREE 'Premium'* night.
*Premium Nights are designated prime periods for the site when Goodwood Events are on.
Working Towards Our Vision
Our site will be a Luxury Site. We have been ear-marked as a 'Flagship Site' by the CAMC and this is what we will be working towards. But as mentioned above, due to the wrangling with the LPA, we now have to start small and basic. We really hope our visitors will understand and be patient with us.
- Basic Set-Up:
- Fresh Water - Complete
- Entrance alteration: we have had a very successful and rigorous trial with our new entrance. It passed with flying colours when we had a 7.5 tonne Horsebox using the entrance onto the CL site. Access was very easy; there were no problems on or off during this strenuous test with horses on board too - Complete
- Fencing: 3 rail and post perimeter - Complete
- Sydney: A special friend has let us plant her rare Monkey-Puzzle Tree, called "Sydney", here on site, which when established we hope will be a highlight for visitors - Complete
- Grey water: soakaways pending
- Cesspit: Installation pending
- Chemical Waste: Auto-Flush Chemical Waste Unit Installation pending
- Additional Features
- Toilet: Single Public Toilet Unit
- Water: Connection on each pitch
- Hedgerow: Existing hedgerow is constantly being reinforced for privacy. Poplars, Western Redwood Cedar, Lemon Cypress and Italian Pencil trees - In Progress
- Discounts: Local discounts to tourist attractions - In Progress
- Electric: Hook-ups
- Shop with locally produced meats from Goodwood, local wine from Tindale Vineyard
- Fish & Chip van on a Friday night
We have a Plan and a Vision.
Pam & Paul
Updated: 16th March 2021